Thursday, May 17, 2012

Welcoming in the colder months

The weather over the past week has started to feel quite wintery, and consequently we've both had colds too. Feeling a bit better today, so to cheer myself up I've started planting some vegetables and pretty flowers that enjoy the change of season. (Only a few more weeks until it's actually winter!) I thought it might help me not to resent it so much, but instead to welcome it with all of it's nice qualities: hot chocolate, ugg boots, lovely knitted scarves, warm soup and crusty bread, and enjoying the warmth under my quilt as I stitch away at it...*sigh*


The little pea that could.
He's grown heaps just in the past two days!

On Saturday I went to a good old fashioned clothes swap - pay $10 entry fee, and fill a bag with whatever goodies you might find. It was a fundraiser for one of my friends at church who is shortly leaving to go on the Logos ship (the new ship to replace the Doulos). It was great! I picked up some great black jumpers and cardigans, 2 dresses, a skirt and a top.
There were quite a few clothes left over afterwards that no-one wanted, so I scoured through these last remnants before they were sent off to the Salvos, to see if there were any that would make good fabric. So far I've only made this little elephant from a short sleeved jacket, but I've also got some knitted jumpers that were a little worn in some spots, so I think they would make great soft toy monkeys (or something similar) I'll post them once I've figured out how to do it!



Yesterday I made these lovely homemade muesli bars... 


They are really easy (the hardest part is going and getting all of the ingredients!), and really good for you. They've got: rolled oats, quinoa flakes, linseed, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels - all lightly toasted - and then some dried apricots, apples and sultanas, along with soem melted honey and butter. It's essentially the same as making honey joys, but healthier :) I worked out that with this combo, they are a source of iron, fibre, omega 3, magnesium and protein! The good thing is, you can control what goes into them, unlike the ones from the supermarket that are packed with sugar and are pretty expensive!

This afternoon I quickly put together a door sausage for our front door - usually a bit of a daggy household item, but I thought this Florence Broadhurst print was rather trendy. 


But I don't think I made it quite long enough. Poop. 
Oh well, it'll have to do - It'll keep most of the cold air out!

That's what I've done thus far to welcome in winter.
How are you coping with the cold snap?




3 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I love the elephant and the sausage! Is that one of the fabrics from Nat?? She just gave me a bunch more sample style pieces, some Marrimekko among others...made me think of you and then here you are posting a sausage made out of one that could have been from her also! Cool!!
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was! That's funny. I've had it for so long, waiting for just the right project... I made the tail for the elephant out of the overlocked seam, plaited together :) Thought you'd like that.

      Delete
  2. I do! I love it! You know me so well...hahaha

    ReplyDelete