Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Finding my green thumb

This afternoon I spent some time outside getting my hands dirty. I went to the nursery and bought some peas and rocket to plant in pots - I think it's time I tried my hand at growing veggies, and these two seem safe enough to start with. While I was at it, I also broke down some pieces of bark by hand to make a mulch (why buy the stuff if you can source it from the garden?! If these go well, I might work my way up to growing full lettuces and broccoli. Not a lot else is in season that we use often enough in the kitchen. Fingers crossed, we might have some produce to eat in a few weeks time! There's something lovely about the idea of eating something straight from the garden - benefitting directly from your own hard work and ongoing care, and appreciating how amazing the Lord's creation is.

These are my existing plants, looking a lot happier with a little TLC, 
and a relocation to a slightly sunnier spot.
Parsley, oregano, rosemary,
succulents, and a chrysanthemum.

And my little yellow roses.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome Beth! Just a thought though, if you decide to grow carrots, make sure you wash them before you eat them, Tahlia was eating them straight out of the garden dirt and all and was a little ill for a couple of days following...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... noted. When it's time for carrots I'll be keen to plant some, but I'll make sure I wash them first :)

    ReplyDelete