Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Humble and Bold I approach...

I've been challenged lately by Marty about how I pray. He has helped me to realise that I have learned to pray with humility, "Your will be done", but for so long have neglected to pray with boldness, "Give us today...". I know God as my sovereign Lord, but I don't think I fully understand him as my generous Father. Perhaps I am all too aware of my own failings and shortcomings before God, and still need to learn what his forgiveness entails.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:  ). I can read this verse so many times, and still draw something new from it! We can so easily read it as "Delight yourself in the Lord so that he will give you the desires of your heart", but this is an attitude of manipulation and selfish ambition. It is a way of trying to fit God into our plan for our lives, not allowing him to guide us with His. In light of this I have been convicted to pray with humility; allowing God to transform and guide me; walking behind him, not trying to be ahead.

Since grappling with this concept, I am coming to realise that humility is not all that is called for in how we relate to God. He is our heavenly Father, and he wants us to depend on him by asking him for things in faith that He will give us what we need. It's not enough for me to dwell in my wretchedness and sin before God. He wants me to understand his forgiveness and my new identity in Christ as his daughter clothed in righteousness! In this position I can approach the throne boldly and express the desires of my heart to the Lord.

Praise God for his forgiveness, acceptance, and generosity. He has the power to transform our hearts and the wisdom to guide us.

No comments:

Post a Comment