Sunday, February 13, 2011


I’ve been reading a book lately that I borrowed from my mum, entitled ‘Disciplines of a Godly Woman’ by Barbara Hughes. It has given me a lot to think about, and encourgaged me to pursue a deeper relationship with God – That’s definitely a good sign that it’s a decent christian book!

Last night I read a chapter on character, in which Barbara discusses the place of television in our lives. Television is all about image, and falsifies life; it depicts a warped view of reality. Since it is so dependent on images, it draws us away from being able and willing to relate to the Word of God, which is so prominent in God communicating with us. She quotes cultural observer and critic Kenneth Myers, “A culture that is rooted more in images than in words will find it increasingly difficult to sustain a broad commitment to any truth, since truth is an abstraction requiring language.” Quite insightful.
So Marty and I went through the week’s TV guide and highlighted the shows that we particularly want to watch, agreeing that the TV will remain off for the rest of the time. Instead of sitting in front of the idiot box, we spent last night sitting across from each other on the lounge, reading our books. It was lovely sitting in silence in each other’s company… not needing to say anything, but just enjoying being together.

No comments:

Post a Comment